If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (631) 476-5300

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What are the Most Common Reasons for Fires in Setauket Homes?

7/19/2020 (Permalink)

fire damaged home SERVPRO of Port Jefferson at (631) 476-5300 stands ready to assist local homeowners with fire damage restoration services.

SERVPRO technicians bring years of experience and advanced restoration methods to your Setauket home for the best outcome from fire loss of any size

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), an average of over 350,000 residential fires occur per year, with over $6-billion in property damages. The most common reasons for the fires are as follows:
    •    Cooking fires
    •    Careless smoking and leaving candles unattended
    •    Furnace fires primarily from overheating
    •    Electrical wiring and appliance malfunctions
    •    Improper usage or storage of flammable liquids

What Types of Fire Damage Cleanup Can SERVPRO Handle?

The technicians undergo comprehensive training for all types of loss and have extensive experience in the handling of all types of fire damage in Setauket homes. It is vital to be aware of the big five reasons so you can take steps in your daily life to limit the causes, such as ensuring flammable liquid in your Setauket garage get property stored. You can make sure people in the home do not overload outlets or run extension cords under carpet.

Cooking Fires

There are many ways that fires can occur in a kitchen; some of the most common are cooking fires. In particular, protein fires leave behind a pungent issue to clean up. When a grease fire or protein burns, the vaporized droplets coat a broad area of surfaces in the kitchen. Never use water to extinguish this type of fire. The hot oil instantly turns water into a vapor and fuels the flames making a small blaze become a considerable problem quickly. When SERVPRO techs handle cleanup for this type of fire loss, they use an array of techniques to clean up this prevalent type of damage such as:
    •    Solvent-based cleaning agents to release the grip of the residues on the surfaces
    •    Odor control methods to remove the odors from porous items in the loss area
    •    Sealants as needed to lock away odorous particulate that is too deeply embedded for other ways to be effective

Other safe practices for the kitchen include never leaving pot holders or towels by a stove. Plastic bags can cause damage if they melt due to exposure to a hot appliance or stove.

Smoking and Candles

Everyone is aware smoking is a health risk, but it can also be a property risk. A statistic from the NFPA states that smoking in the home leads to more fatalities than any other type of residential fire, often due to falling asleep with a cigar or cigarette. Candles are another common reason for home fires due to leaving them unattended and the flames igniting window treatments, bedding, or getting knocked over by a pet.

SERVPRO techs handle this type of fire loss by clearing away the charred items and cleaning the soot residues to restore as much as possible through their professional cleaning solutions and advanced techniques.

Heating and Puff Back

Overheating heating systems are a significant cause of house fires in the United States. Puff back can happen; the furnace blows soot through all the vents at once and creates a huge, sooty issue throughout the home. When SERVPRO techs handle this type of cleanup, they almost always have to address the ductwork in the house.

Electrical Wiring and Appliances

Faulty and outdated wiring is frequently the core cause of many house fires. Also, portable and space heaters are a big draw on electrical outlets and can overheat an outlet. Watch for smoking or sparks. Touch the plug occasionally to see if it feels hot and turn off an appliance if the plug feels warm to the touch as that is an early sign of dangerous overheating. If electrical equipment gets damaged in a fire, SERVPRO techs can arrange for a certified expert to inspect the appliances or devices before reuse to ensure it is safe to use.

Improper Storage of Flammable Liquids

Garages are ground zero for a portion of residential fires. One of the most frequently seen issues is the placement of flammable solutions by electrical outlets or heat sources. Either of these situations can cause a fire. Unless there is some type of environmental monitoring, a fire may begin and get going strong before it gets discovered, and firefighting efforts start.

No matter what type of fire loss is within your property, SERVPRO techs bring their professional equipment to remove the visible smoke damage, restore your contents and eradicate the odors to make the damage from the flames a thing of the past.

SERVPRO of Port Jefferson at (631) 476-5300 stands ready to assist local homeowners with fire damage restoration services. The technicians arrive quickly and work hard to return your home to its preloss condition, “Like it never even happened.”

Other News

View Recent Posts