Recent Building Services Posts
SERVPRO - Emergency Ready Profile
As many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. And knowing you are "Ready for whatever happens" speaks trust to your clients and employees that in the event your business is affected by a disaster, they don’t necessarily have to be.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
A guide to help you get back into your building following a disasterThis can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
A no cost assessment of your facility.This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency. It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
Establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider. You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you, time and money.
Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information. Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are "Ready for whatever happens."
What is lurking in your ducts?
Sweeping Away Years of Dust and Dirt - Helping Reduce Potential for Damage and Health
Since the ventilation system is often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality, inspecting the ductwork should be a high priority. In most cases, the HVAC system has been operating for some time without much attention. Dirty ducts can circulate odors, contaminants such as mold and irritating dust as mold and irritating dust throughout your building or home.
A routine part of our SERVPRO Professional's service is inspecting the heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Keeping the HVAC system and ductwork clean can potentially extend the life span of the equipment by allowing it to operate at peak condition, which may save you money.
The SERVPRO Duct Cleaning Process
- The process begins by using patented equipment including a roto-scraper, which automatically adapts to the duct's shape and diameter while traveling through the duct, removing debris and filth before vacuuming begins.
- Next, a powerful push-pull air delivery and collection system transfers the debris from the ducting to a 16-gallon container.
- Air is filtered through a HEPA filtration system, removing 99.97 % of particles in the airstream. HEPA filters capture debris and keep the environment clean.
- As an option process, a sealant or coating product may be sprayed to address odor or microbial concerns.
- Filters will either be cleaned or replaced to remove odor and dirt.
Duct Cleaning May Not Always Be Necessary
SERVPRO of Port Jefferson Professionals will inspect your HVAC system and ductwork and make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. This inspection can save you money and provide peace of mind on the health of your HVAC system and ductwork.
In some circumstances, such as after fire, smoke or suspected mold growth, duct cleaning becomes an essential part of the cleanup process. In these cases, your SERVPRO Professional can often restore the HVAC system and ductwork to pre-damage condition.
Who you gonna call?
In the event of an emergency....
SERVPRO of Port Jefferson is a professional cleanup & restoration company & is dedicated to being faster to any size disaster. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs. call SERVPRO 24/7/365.
Licensed for emergency service restoration, disaster cleaning and complete construction services. No damage is too large or too small for SERVPRO of Port Jefferson. We have trained & certified professional to quickly make it "Like it never even happened". In any of these emergency situations call SERVPRO for immediate action! 631-476-5300
Home Healthy Home
- Do you smoke in your home?
- Do your kitchen, bathroom and laundry room have adequate ventilation and exhaust fans?
- Do you change your air filters once a month?
- Is your gas fireplace and/or gas stove check yearly for emissions?
- Was your home built before 1978? If so, has it been check for lead-based paint?
- Do your bathrooms have carpet?
Causes of Indoor Air Pollution
- Asbestos building products when dislodged (no longer intact)
- Biological contaminants such as mold, dust mites, viruses and pet dander.
- Carbon Monoxide
- Formaldehyde found in pressure treated wood
- Lead (pre-1978 house paint)
- Nitrogen dioxide
- Particulates found in dust, pollen, cleaning sprays and poorly ventilated areas
- Tobacco smoke
- Volatile organic compounds including household cleaning products, pesticides and aerosol propellants.
The Trust about MOLD
Mold spores are everywhere in our environment and can enter homes easily. Most types of mold grow quickly if they have a water source, an organic food source and temperatures between 60 and 86 Fahrenheit.
An institute of Medicine study found excessive dampness indoors is a public health problem by encouraging growth of molds, dust mites and other organisms.
Control Moisture and Reduce Mold
- Correct any water leaks or standing water
- Remove standing water under cooling coils or air handling units.
- Replace washing machine hoses with steel mesh lines.
- Move large objects away from the walls to provide good air circulation.
- Use exhaust fans in bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms.
Cleaner Air Means a Healthier Home
Dirty ducts can circulate odors and contaminants like mold and irritating dust throughout the home. SERVPRO of Port Jefferson uses a proven Portable Ventilation and Duct Cleaning System to examine ductwork and make a clean sweep, removing years of dust and grime.
Benefits of Cleaning Ducts & HVAC:
- Lowers indoor air pollution
- Reduces pet dander
- Eliminates offensive odors
- Restores peak operating condition
- Prolongs the life of your system
The Science Behind Drying
The science of drying is known as psychrometrics. It is essential to know in order to properly dry and restore a structure to its preloss condition. SERVPRO of Port Jefferson follows a strict industry approved standards to help lower the chances of any secondary damage.
Your initial reaction to clean up a mess may be to grab a few towels or mop up the mess or place a fan or two around the damage area. However, when the carpet itself may be dry. There may be hidden moisture you cannot see or feel creating the potential for further damage.
Water can seep through pinhole cracks and crevices in floors; surfaces such as wood, drywall and carpet readily absorb water, pulling moisture further into the structure. Measuring moisture levels of the visibly affected areas, as well as surrounding areas, helps ensure proper drying and prevention of secondary damage.
SERVPRO strict industry-approved standards to measure the extent of moisture saturation and to offer drying, deodorizing and disinfecting services to help reduce the chance of any secondary damage. The Franchise Technician will:
- Inspect the building to detect every area and component that is wet, preventing damage from occurring due to overlooked areas.
- Measure the moisture levels in the wet materials and monitor these levels to ensure materials are drying properly.
- Expedite the natural drying process by using professional drying equipment.
What does it mean to "expedite the natural drying process?" The environment always seeks equilibrium, because of this; a wet building can often dry naturally. When materials are wet, moisture will naturally move to drier air at the surface, but this can only happen if the air is actually drier. The trouble with the natural process is the length of time it can take to dry naturally. When drying takes too long, secondary damages may occur.
Our SERVPRO professionals have been trained to use top-of-the-line equipment, designed to expedite the natural drying process including equipment to help dry hardwood floors, tough to reach places inside walls and much more. State of the art monitoring equipment and a proven scientific method allows SERVPRO professionals to dry you home or business fast.