Pet Safety during this holiday season
Tips to keep you woof, meow, chirp safe during this festive time
- Keep electrical cords, lights and candles out of pets' reach. Candles knocked over by and excited or curious paw or wing can pose serious fire hazards
- Provide calm, private area for pets to retreat. This will give pets a feeling of safety, especially with multiple guests coming through the house.
- Remind guests to close all doors to the outside to prevent any potential escape avenues for nervous pets.
Weather safety for pets
Exposure to winter's dry, cold air and chilly rain, sleet and snow can cause your furry friend to have chapped paws, and itchy flaky skin.
- Keep your home humidified and towel dry your pet as soon as they come inside.
- Never shave your dog down to the skin during winter season
- Wash and dry your pet's feet and stomach to remove ice, salt and chemicals.
- Always check for cracks in paw or redness. Petroleum jelly or other paw protectants can be used to help protect from salt and chemical agents.
- Feeding them a bit more can help provide much-needed calories.
Remember if it's too cold for you, it's probably too cold for your pet, so keep your animals inside.